Built in Essex in 1832 as a school for local and later boarding
students, Hills Academy is now home to the Essex Historical Society.
Purchased in 1955 by the newly formed Society, it served as meeting
place, museum, and collection archives. With a matching grant from the
Connecticut Historical Commission in 2001, the first floor was restored
to its original appearance and continues as meeting and exhibit space.
The collection of artifacts, photographs, and archival records that
preserve the history of Essex is housed on the second floor. A
dedicated group of volunteers, dubbed the Archival Angels, works
year-round on accessioning, cataloging, and researching the additions to