The Isham-Terry House is a time capsule of life in turn-of-the-century Hartford. Dr. Oliver Isham bought the 1894 Otalianate Villa in 1896. Here he had his physician's office and lived with his sisters Julia and Charlotte.
The sisters occupied the house until the 1970s, defying the urban renewal juggernaut that demolishes so many historic homes. They made so few changes and modernizations to the house that crossing its threshold today is like stepping back in time. Room after room is filled with historical and family significance: ornate gas-light fixtures, stained glass windows, rare books and paintings, Connecticut-made clocks and memorabilia from Hartford High School, their alma mater. Dr. Isham's office, with surgical instruments and medicine, has been left undisturbed.